The Cohen New Works Festival
The Cohen New Works Festival exists to support, promote, and champion original, student-generated work across a variety of artistic mediums.
This festival, produced biennially, provides a space for artists to take risks, builds bridges between the educational and professional communities, and cultivates a diverse artistic community for students.
In the spirit of mentor David Mark Cohen, the festival celebrates and challenges the meaning of “new” in order to encourage the personal growth and empowerment of the next generation of art-makers and leaders.
Guiding our decision-making are the following core values:
- Empowering students to take responsibility and initiative for their own artistic, entrepreneurial, and intellectual development.
- COLLABORATION & COMMUNITY
- Encouraging new creative partnerships across many disciplines.
- Building relationships across the Department of Theatre and Dance, the College of Fine Arts, and the University of Texas at large.
- Providing the resources, guidance, and connections necessary for the creation of new work.
- Creating new avenues for conversation and critical inquiry within our community.
- Engaging the national artistic community through partnerships with professional guest artists.
- Creating opportunities and forums for diverse voices, perspectives, forms and stories.